One of my very favorite comfort foods is Chicken & Dumplings! My great grandmother used to make them, and I remember it being one of her specialties. It was always such a treat to enjoy a bowl of them. I decided to try to make some for my kiddos so that they could enjoy them too.
I have not been able to come up with a good dairy free egg free homemade dumplings recipe so I do cheat a little with canned biscuits, but they make it SO easy and So Yummy!
This recipe makes a big ‘ol pot that will feed my family of 8 plus a little leftover so you might want to half it if your family is smaller or double it if larger:)
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 lbs Cooked Chicken
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth (2 cans or 1 carton)
- 2 Cups Milk Alternative(I used Soy Milk)
- 2 Cups Water
- 4 Cans Biscuits(10 count) - Read the label to make sure they are dairy/egg free.
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Shred Chicken into Pieces.
- Pour Chicken Broth, Milk Alternative, and Water into Pot.
- Add Chicken and Stir.
- Bring to Medium Heat (Do Not Boil).
- Cut Biscuits into Fourths and drop into pot one at a time. (This step needs to be done fairly quickly so that the dumplings are cooked evenly.)
- Let cook on medium heat until dumplings are done. (Stir frequently so they don't stick, but not so frequently that they turn to mush.)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste.